Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute
Head of Digital Health Unit (80 - 100%)
The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH) is a world-leading institute in global health with a particular focus on low- and middle-income countries. Associated with the University of Basel, Swiss TPH combines research, education and services at local, national and international levels. 900 people from 80 nations work at Swiss TPH focusing on infectious and non-communicable diseases, environment, society and health as well as health systems and interventions.
The Swiss Centre for International Health – one of five departments of Swiss TPH – provides policy advice, project design and management in the area of public and global health with the aim to strengthen health systems and improve health service delivery. Our Digital Health unit holds substantial expertise in identifying and implementing digital health solutions, including health information applications for improved health services, health financing, computerised epidemiological surveillance systems, health management information systems as well as digital solutions for training health professionals.
We are seeking a successor for a leadership position based at the new headquarters of Swiss TPH in Allschwil, in close proximity to Basel. The jobholder reports to the head of the Swiss Centre for International Health. S/he will be a member of the departmental leadership team.
Key tasks you will take on are:
- Consolidate and further develop the thematic profile and the service portfolio of the digital health unit, e.g. in respect to (i) product development, software as a medical device such clinical decision support systems; (ii) mobile medical apps, medical device interoperability and data protection, and (iii) personalized digital health, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and novel digital health technologies
- Technically and financially manage a unit consisting of a team of about 15 collaborators in Allschwil and of around 20 project collaborators abroad with an annual turn-over in the range of CHF 5-6 million
Additional tasks can be:
- Successfully identify new business opportunities
- Oversee, plan and coordinate long-term health sector projects in the area of digital health
To best fit into our active, interdisciplinary team you ideally fulfil the following requirements:
- Professional background in public health science and/or health informatics
- Consulting experience and technical expertise focusing on one or more areas of digital health
- Minimum of 10 years working experience in health sector and health system strengthening programs, preferably with a focus on low and middle-income countries
- Track record in business development
- Experience in team leadership and staff management
- High level of commitment and flexibility as well as willingness to travel abroad, including to remote places
- Very good command of English and of at least one more language such as French
- Excellent communication skills, strong spirit of team work and initiative, and ability to work in a multi-cultural context
Swiss TPH, as an equal opportunity employer, is committed to excellence through diversity, equity and inclusion.
Contact: For more information please visit our website: https://www.swisstph.ch/en/about/scih/digital-health-unit/
Start Date: as soon as possible, not later than 1 May 2023
Location: Allschwil, Switzerland
Duration: unlimited contract
Percentage: 80 - 100%
Travel: 4 to 8 weeks per year
How to apply
This is a re-advert and those who have applied already do not need to re-apply.
Please submit your application online via the link provided below with:
- Motivational letter incl. salary expectations
- Reference letters and diploma
Please note that we can only accept applications via our online recruiting tool: https://jobs.swisstph.ch/Jobs/All. Applications via e-mail or external recruiter will not be considered.
The deadline for applications is 30 November 2022. First round interviews will be in December.